What breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GingersHuman, Sep 23, 2016.

1. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Just purchased 3 new hens, 2 are of the same breed, 1 of a different breed. All are 16 wks old. The person I purchased them from, got them from McMurray hatchery in the brown egg layer assortment. I still can't place them even after looking at their site. Any ideas? The seller thought maybe a Pearl Leghorn (but the comb is still very small) and 2 Marans (but they weren't listed in the possible breed assortments).[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Two Partridge Rocks and a White Rock.

3. GingersHuman

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Are the Partridge Rocks that dark? I've seen many that are the golden red, but mine are a dark mahogany. From a distance they look almost black.

4. QueenMisha

I believe the UK version is a soft honey gold. In the US they should have the mahogany gene (Mh) and Partridge birds should be a deep reddish shade. I've seen a few here that were light like the UK birds, and those were either hatchery birds (poor breeding) or imports (like Engligh Orpingtons).

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Queen Misha, thank for your explanations - you always have something interesting to share.

6. GingersHuman

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Thank you!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Good to know [​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

Since there was some interest in the difference between UK and US Partridge, I searched around and found this photo which really does an excellent job of showing the difference, in this case between US and UK Partridge Wyandotte Bantams:

[​IMG]

Found here:

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/the-other-type-of-gold-red/ (which, aside from having that excellent photo, was also very informative regarding the Ap gene - something I have not had a chance to study all that well! Gotta love the tidbits you find on google)

10. GingersHuman

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for the pic & info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by