What Breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Freeholder, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I got nine ducks the other day. One pair is supposed to be about two years old, and the lady said she was told they were Mallards. They are colored like Mallards but seem big to me -- are domestic Mallards bigger than wild ones? They aren't big enough to be Rouens, though. The duck seems to be a good layer, in any case. I didn't manage to get a good picture of them, so on to my mystery birds.

There are four of these -- at least, I think they are all the same, more or less. One is a male, the other three are females (and I got an egg from one of them this morning!). These guys, and the others that follow, are supposed to be 'about six months old.' The lady I got them from was guessing on the age, as she got them from a neighbor fairly recently. They are pretty good-sized, and lighter in color, more blue, in real life than in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the bluish ones -- I'll make another post for the others, since these pictures are big.

Kathleen

2. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    There is one small one that I'm sure is a Khaki Campbell duck -- you'll see her in the back of one of these pictures. What I'm not sure about is the light colored ones -- they aren't pure white, but have some buff over-laying the white. They are also visibly smaller than the bluish ones above, although quite a bit bigger than the Khaki.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two light colored ones also are ducks (if it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck, LOL!). I'm pretty happy with my purchase, over-all, as it seems that I got seven ducks and two drakes. I'd just like to know WHAT I've got, LOL! I'm guessing that the light colored ones are probably Buffs? But what on earth are those blue/brown ones??

Kathleen

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    They look like they might be Buff Ducks to me. Saxonys would be larger and have facial stripes.

4. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    The light-colored ones? I was thinking Buffs, too. Nobody has any ideas about the blue ones?

Kathleen

5. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    the white ones are pekins and the darker ones look like buffs or kakis. It looks like they are all female. do they ley eggs?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    No, the white ones are not Pekins! Pekins would be much larger, and pure white. (I've raised them before.) The only Khaki is the little one in the pen with the two light-colored ducks, the ones I suspect are Buffs (the ones you thought were Pekins).

Seven of the nine are ducks, and two are drakes -- I've already got that part figured out, although one of the drakes (one of the blue-brown birds) doesn't yet have the curly drake tail feather. He does make a drake quack, however.

Kathleen

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The lighter ones are most certainly buffs.
    The others look like khaki campbells and khaki campbell/rouen crosses. I have a few and they look like that, just like the campbells, but with facial striping like the rouens.

8. Freeholder

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Quote:Hmmm....Would the Rouen X Campbells have so much blue in them? (It's really hard to see in the pictures, but very noticeable on the birds.) I could see Rouen in them with their size -- the purebred Campbell is probably half their size.

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by