What breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickybuddy100, Jul 24, 2014.

1. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    I don't know what kind of chicken breeds I want to put in my improved coop I want brown egg layers can you put a picture and a name of a breed that's good egg layers thanks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    The leghorn. Why don't you want brown eggers?

3. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The best egg layers are Leghorns. They lay white eggs. There are also several Leghorn crosses (Tetra Tints, etc) that lay well. For brown eggs there are several sex linked crosses (Isa browns, black sex links, red sex links, etc). Hatcheries also have Easter Eggers. Mixed breeds that usually lay blue/green eggs regularly.

4. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Well,for brown egg production the Production red is the best I would suppose.The fact that those are mixes the (Sex links)you will never know what exactly they lay nor if its a good egg layer.My red sex links are good and black sex links.They also mature faster then your average bird(I know this has nothing to do with the top,but I just figured I say something to encourage others).So Sex links are good depending the mixes.

5. The leghorn is perhaps hands down the best egg layer. Any hen with a white ear lobe will only lay a white shelled egg and all leghorns have white ear lobes, so they all lay white shelled eggs. In fact the color on the egg shell is laid down only about one hour before the egg pops out of the hen, and the egg membranes are all white before their laid, so all eggs are white at least where the shell meets the egg white, so go figure.

In my book shell color is over rated, once in the frying pan no one including yours truly can determine what hen laid which egg. The main difference is that it requires less feed and so it is easier on the environment to produce a dozen white shelled eggs than a similar number of brown shelled eggs. That's why brown eggs fetch more at the grocery it's a marketing ploy.

[​IMG]

In case I misunderstood your question, the color of a hens' feathers has no bearing on the color egg she lays. White leghorns lay white eggs and brown leghorns also lay white eggs.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

6. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Well
    Well,its not actually the EAR lobe its the feathering covering the ear that shows what color the eggs will lay.BUT your case may be right.Im not POSITIVE on my answer,but from what i've heard and saw it looks correct.

7. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    I'm fine with other colored egg but I just prefer brown eggers I don't know why but honestly I will get any kind of good chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by