WHAT? Broody hen due Friday... She got up today and...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    11 of the 12 eggs are GONE!!! She has been setting like a champ... did she EAT THEM? I separated her 2 weeks ago and she's been in an area all by herself. What happened??

I have chicks that were born 4 days ago... and I'm going to slip them in with her tonight and see if she'll raise them. There's only 5, maybe I can at least get them out of my utility room.

Urgh. So much for my first broody experience!

2. Twin Mom

Twin Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Floresville, Texas
    Had same thing happen today! Only thing left were five guinea eggs.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'd blame it on the easter bunny! Egg thief! But seriously, I'm not sure, but that sure sucks!

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have a broody as well... I swore she was sitting on 3 eggs.. she left the nest yesterday and I only found one...she is my first broody and I just assumed she knocked them out of the nest and I just did not notice or the other chickens ate the mess... and now you guys are telling me it was the Easter Bunny!!! That is soooooo coool [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    That's A LOT of eggs to be missing......Im thinking you got yourself an egg Thief [​IMG]

6. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    She's in a locked extra large pet carrier!!! She had to have eaten them herself! Maybe she's clumsy and kept cracking them and ate them as she did?? Maybe she got sick and tired of being in there and started sabotaging the nest?? Totally confusing.

BUT... I put my 5 week old chicks in there tonight and they were all curled up underneath her... maybe she'll except them and we can at least see how she is as a momma!

7. renovationmom

renovationmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Could be a pack of rats, they will eat the baby chicks too. They can fit through the metal grid door of a dog crate. Snakes will eat the eggs too, but not so many eggs at one time, and they do not travel in packs.

8. Philidelphia Eagles

Philidelphia Eagles Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    was there any shells, etc. I've had snakes do this before

9. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I didn't see any evidence... just one lonely egg. I'll inspect further this morning, though! Weird!

10. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    WHAT??? Today, the hen was still over by the door. I looked and all the eggs were under her!! She had moved them all out of the nest and over by the door???? She got up to get water today and then went back to the nest. I had to put them all back under her myself?! Who knows if they have been kept warm enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by