What broody hen would survive best?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grey and green feathers, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Grey and green feathers

Grey and green feathers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I know theres silkies and games and cochins and stuff, but i have no idea as to their personalities and needs. Im new to chickens. [​IMG] i need a bird that is hardy in idaho weather lol boise specifically. Summer days are commonly 110 and winters will usually get down to 0 or -10. heres the kicker- its gotta live with my dads 6 fat RIRs. One of which is a roo. Either that or it can live with my coturnix quail. Needs to be bantam so it can incubate and raise my coturnix eggs as well as the rirs. They go free range every day and must deal with cats and hawks. If its friendly and cute ill have an easier time convincing my mom, plus id like a friendlier type. Thx guys i know i sound picky lol i just dont want something thats gonna die right away

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Has to be a bantam and you have cats and hawks.

Maybe you could save a step and just buy a bucket of fried chicken. Little bitty birds are going to be singled out as the easiest target for smallish predators like cats and hawks. They will pass on th large RIR's that might fight and go right after the little bantam that looks like a partially grown chick and is going to be a lot easier to overcome.

Perhaps you could build a nice secure chicken tractor for your bantam when it is outside?

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You don't want to keep chickens and quail together. You need to keep them apart (like 10 ft. from each other) because chickens carry diseases that they are imune to and quail are not and they can spread quickly.

4. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Sounds like a old english game hen is your best bet. They have good survival skills and are the best broodies.

There is a pretty long thread about it not too long ago, try searching!

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    In Baker City, OR (fairly close to you) we have had great luck with Old English Hens. I wouldbe weary of keeping them with quail though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by