What can be done about mosquitos in the coop????!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cmclean, Mar 30, 2012.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Is there a product I can apply in my coop and in the nesting box area to get rid of the mosquitos[​IMG]??? They are horrible right now and will only get worse here in the Houston, TX area!! Thanks for any help in advance.

2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I use permethrin spray for mite and mosquito control. If you don't want to use that I've heard that garlic spray is also effective.

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Where are they coming from? If they are that bad, there must be a source of standing water nearby that is breeding them. Otherwise they should be dispersing somewhat or the chickens are hanging out a lot in the coop and the skeeters are staying in their for a full buffet. I'd look around for sources of standing water first since they will die out if they aren't continually being replenished.

If you start spraying insecticides around, you're risking getting it on the chickens, in the feed etc. Have you considered getting a mosquito zapper and setting it AWAY from the area to draw them away from the coop to their death? Is the coop screened?

I would go with more natural things like spraying orange oil solution or citronella in the coop while the chickens were locked out of it and then letting it air out and dry before letting them back in. Or perhaps hanging citronella repellant devices inside the coop.

The biggest thing is prevention and finding the stagnant water source where they are laying mosquito eggs. Using mosquito dunks when you can't empty out the water source (such as a pond, rainwater collection barrels, etc) is very helpful.

ETA: permethrins are great insecticides but they are neurotoxic and tiny amounts will kill cats and dogs are also susceptible to poisoning when coming into contact with permethrin if the dose is too high.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. cmclean

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Safe for use around our girls??

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Look for a "premise" spray. You spray all the walls to keep the flies away. At my horse barn the owner hangs up baggies with water in them. Seems to work esp in the chatting area! I also use fly traps all summer long. They sure do fill up fast!

6. helomech

helomech Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    East Texas
  7. cmclean

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

8. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012