What can be done with Roo?

BleuSaphir

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Santa Clarita, CA
My mother boyfriend has a rooster. He has many hens. Currently I see two hens severely without feathers. I think they are his favorite hens. Sometime I wonder if the other hens are also pecking at them? I don’t understand at times when they have plenty of run space.

What can be stopped to discourage this behavior?

It is possible that other hens can pick on the ones with no feathers because that area is exposed and it’ll turn a darker pink or red in color. This is normal as chicken skin was made to be covered by their feathers. By their skin being red as a reaction to the sun’s rays- it’s normal and their feathers will grown back eventually. As for solving the problem, the best you can do is separate the rooster or the hens from the flock so the hens can get a rest from being over-bred. How you decide who to separate is whatever you choose.

It is possible that other hens can pick on the ones with no feathers because that area is exposed and it’ll turn a darker pink or red in color. This is normal as chicken skin was made to be covered by their feathers. By their skin being red as a reaction to the sun’s rays- it’s normal and their feathers will grown back eventually. As for solving the problem, the best you can do is separate the rooster or the hens from the flock so the hens can get a rest from being over-bred. How you decide who to separate is whatever you choose.
I’ll need to pass the info onto him, he has plenty of space to make a quarantine coop. Maybe expand the coop run more.

I’m concern about the two hens. I would never want my own hens to be in that state I am seeing them in. He lost a couple of hens due to my mom not being alert when accessing the coop.

Back
Top Bottom