What can break through chicken wire?

K5FAL

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
I have chicken wire underneath my coop to stop predators from breaking in. I just read somewhere that something much stronger is required, like heavy gauge pig wire.

The biggest threat around here are foxes and raccoons. Would they be able to dig under and break through chicken wire?

I don't live in bear country so I can't imagine what could penetrate that wire.

Absolutely they can chew threw and tear chicken wire. The only thing chicken wire can really keep out or in are.................................................CHICKENS.

Most use 1/2" square galvanized, welded, wire cloth that looks like the following. It can be found at Lowes and Home Depot along with hardware stores, even Amazon carries it.

Attachments

• 61BH-SzU3VL.jpg
    61BH-SzU3VL.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 61
Welcome!
Rats and weasels easily get through chicken wire, raccoons, foxes, and dogs tear through it with no difficulty. At least!
Chicken wire is very effective at keeping chickens inside, except for young chicks, who can climb through it too. And raccoons, at least, will reach through it and pull chickens apart while alive, piece by piece.
As a roof for a run, it will keep raptors out.
Underground, it will also rot out in damp conditions.
It's not worth the time or $$.
Mary

I’ve read a lot of folks say raccoons can get through it. It’s probably a better barrier under ground since raccoons aren’t big diggers. Predators more likely to dig are foxes, coyotes and dogs. I personally think chickenwire under ground will discourage them and provide solid but not fool proof protection. Canids just don’t have the dexterity of a coon when it comes to dismantling things.

A starving animal may choose to try to bite through it but would have a hard time getting the wire to their cutting teeth, the molars in the back.

Bears aren’t a big concern for me either. I once lived at a place where my landlord had chickens and a nightly bear visitor to the dumpster. The bear had easy food access (even bashed the dumpster cover in) but never bothered the coop. If a bear wants in though, chainlink is probably the only thing that stands a chance short of electricity.

*edit because I was typing when you posted pics.

Your run doesn’t offer much for protection that I can see. I was thinking the wire ran under the earth and attached to other fencing. A lot of chicken predators won’t need to worry about digging underneath, they can either slip through (weasel family and rats) or reach through (raccoons and cats). There looks like gaps between the metal gating and the ground too, something could probably dig in that too.

Last edited:
You may also want to run it along the walls of your fenced in area to prevent weasels from sneaking through and raccoons from reaching through the fence and grabbing a chicken.
I did not know we had them here. I'm on a freight train and I turned to my conductor when I read your post and asked if we have weasels here in OK and he said "Sure do! And they'll get your chickens!"

:welcome :frow I have several cameras up. Most nights I get a predator roaming around on at least one camera. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has penetrated but I also have a quite powerful fence charger that will knock your socks off, it will hurt. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom