1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what can/can't they eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Saltiena, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i know that they eat bugs, can they eat grubs?
    do any of you have a list you can share of food i can and can't give them, i think i can give them oats right?, we have a "grub infested" yard, so i really hope that they can eat them [​IMG]

2. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    Mine eat grubs, worms, moths, ants, mice, anything that moves, really. I cringe in the summer time when they catch locusts and the poor little thing buzzes around as they all fight to eat it. Daily, I feed them Layena mixed with lentils, split peas, milo, millet, wheat, corn, boss, barley, and DE. They also get lots of treats from the kitchen and free range throughout the day eating weeds and whatnot. Sorry I don't have specific list! My chickens all have different taste buds and prefer some things to others. One of my chickens absolutely loves chilled fruit of all kinds - she will not eat it when it's room temp. Such a snob! ~ Oaknim

3. Saltiena

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    thank you, i just relized if they couldn't eat grubs then we coulden't keep them so it's nice to know

btw are you a buddhist your signature is a quote of buddah so....

4. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    I'm Jain, but I also follow a lot of Buddhist teachings (they're similar), plus Buddha has wonderful quotes! [​IMG] ~ Oaknim

5. Saltiena

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    Tahts so interesting, i have never met any other buddhist (or partial buddhists). all of my friends exept it, but they won't talk about it

6. Saltiena

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    is there any type of fruit/veggie that they CAN'T eat?

7. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    They shouldn't eat avocado and uncooked potatoes.

You also need to avoid anything that is rotten or mouldy or it will kill them.

When it comes to things around the garden that are poisonous, they are pretty sensible really. Before I knew it was poisonous, I offered them some avocado. They took one peck and then turned up their beaks in disgust, before wiping them vigourously on the ground!

8. Saltiena

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    oh okay, i thought some people said about giving them "slightly out of date"cream cheese etc?

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Cream cheese is pretty salty. I'd try to stay away from additional sodium in the birds' diet. Salt poisoning can be deadly for chickens.

10. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    What about apples and or apple seeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by