what can couse this? nasty poop pics

Kitty990

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
A: Astralorp, about one years old, 5lb, yes she is lither then our GLW. our flock is of mixed breeds she is our only -Lorp

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
A: normal

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A: two weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
A: no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
A: no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
A: moved to a new coop

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
A: purina layena, purina scratch feed, purina oyster shell, mealworms

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
A: black liqiudy,

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
A: nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
A: we'll treat our selves

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
A: housing is a 8x8 shed made into a coop with pilewood wood, pine shavings, timothy hay.

I've not seen a dropping that black. could she have eaten some berries possibly? I looked in four health books I have on chickens and the books are pretty through and I couldn't find black droppings. I found bloody droppings but not black. I think its possible she has eaten something that stained her droppings. I have seen this with berries. especially black berries and strawberries. is she acting ill? I'd keep an eye on her. unless I missed something I couldn't find black droppings. you don't think its dried blood do you? it doesn't look that way to me... I'm thinking its just something she has eaten passing through. if it continues then I might be concerned but right now see if it goes away and was just something eaten. best wishes to you. keep your eye out for any other symptoms. I wish you the best.

If your Australorp has been excreting the black tar like poop for 2 weeks straight, then there's a problem. It's most likely dark blood in the feces that you're seeing. The causes: Possibly worms, a tumor of some sort, something that she may have swallowed to cause a puncture or tear to cause blood loss internally.
Other possibilities could be along the lines that Realsis mentioned; continuosly feeding your hen vegetables such as kale, cabbage, etc...
If it's the latter, stop feeding her vegetables.

Last edited:
our flock runs in our back yard. but we don't have any berry plants yet, their still in the greenhouse. we dont eat kale or cabbage, she does not seem like she is in pain.

Q: how will i know it is an internal injury or tumor?

I am gonna throw my GUESS in for what its worth....remove the timothy hay from the bedding. It MIGHT be possible she has eaten stems or a stem that has caused this problem. of internal bleeding.
You could try oiling her via the mouth to see IF she might pass whatever it is thats causing this. OLIVE oil in a syringe .05 mL [.05cc ]
CAREFULLY force feed thru the mouth alitle at a time until she swallows it all.....

I am gonna throw my GUESS in for what its worth....remove the timothy hay from the bedding. It MIGHT be possible she has eaten stems or a stem that has caused this problem. of internal bleeding.
You could try oiling her via the mouth to see IF she might pass whatever it is thats causing this. OLIVE oil in a syringe .05 mL [.05cc ]
CAREFULLY force feed thru the mouth alitle at a time until she swallows it all.....

P.S. Is she still laying eggs regularly?

yes she is still acting normal, laying, eating, and following the Dom around.I'll try the oil.

you said something about the hay: are the stem poisonous or they can just damage the in'erns? what are the effects of chickens eat alfalfa? we don't have alfalfa but i am just asking if in case.

yes she is still acting normal, laying, eating, and following the Dom around.I'll try the oil.

you said something about the hay: are the stem poisonous or they can just damage the in'erns? what are the effects of chickens eat alfalfa? we don't have alfalfa but i am just asking if in case.
Does all of her poop look like that? My chickens and other fowl *love* alfalfa, no need to worry about it.

you said something about the hay: are the stem poisonous or they can just damage the in'erns?  what are the effects of chickens eat alfalfa? we don't have alfalfa but i am just asking if in case.

The stems are not poisonous....I experienced this once with a 19 pound dog..she had eaten a stem of a non poisionous plant BUT it got lodged in her intestines and poked a hole and she went septic..Had surgery and she was good as new...

That is why I mentioned that possibility is all.........Yes alfalfa hay is YUMMIE for chickens.
Timothy hay is a bit more stemmie and less leaves.....[I own horses]. LOL
Thats too bad you don't have access to alfalfa... :(

Back
Top Bottom