what can i buy or use for dust bath in winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ldutch123, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm looking to put a dust box in the coop for the winter. In the summer they have dirt they use outside but the ground is freezing and they don't go out much. Is there anything I can buy? Or use. I tries black dirt and sand but it isn't working out. It isnt dusty just like moist dirt

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can use a black concrete mixing tub or any type of tub that is large enough.

Some mix ashes, sand, dirt, and DE together. Or just sand. They will love it. Keep it out of the rain and you are good to go.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Do not buy sand. Waste of money.. Not one of my 18 chickens will use it! [​IMG]

That was almost $20 down the drain!

Fine play sand (2bags) = $15
    DE to mix in with sand = $5

Chickens too stuck up to use dustbox: Priceless.

ETA: I wanted just topsoil. I know that's what they like. They only had potting soil at the stores (went to two different hardware stores with garden centres). The potting mix has all kinds of bad chemicals in it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Good to know about the potting soil. where do u get DE from? Is there anything at the farm stores??

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Diatomaceous earth is sold at my feed store- used to be around $30 for a big bag. You want "food-grade" or nothing at all.

The non-food-grade DE is poisonous I have read.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I us DE (Diatomaceous Earth food grade) I get it at Tractor supply. Course had to ask 5 different store employees cause they didn't have a clue what it is.

7. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Good to know about the potting soil. where do u get DE from? Is there anything at the farm stores??

8. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Thank you so much I'm going to go.get this today. So I don't mix anything with the DE?

9. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I actually dug up their summer dusting area and put that dirt/soil into an oversized kitty litter pan. Added lots of DE and set it in a corner up off the floor just a bit to keep it cleaner. Someone's been using it even though we are still snow-less and they also use the outside area.

Love, Linn B. in Wisconsin

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I would definitely mix something with the DE. It is very dusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by