what can I call these chickens......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Country Living Farm, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok. I started crossing a Barred Rock and a turken. Both pure. I got a Barred Naked neck Hen. I took that hen and crossed it with a RIR and got sex links. I kept the ones that were naked necks. I have one barred rooster, and three hens. ( I was going for different traits and colors in the hens with the nked necks which I got) So when I put them all together I will have a barred rooster, with a barred hen, (the roosters mother) and the two hens that are white/redish (red sex link color), and one odd ball hen that looks just like a RIR but naked neck.

Now knowing they are not turkens, what can I call them? They will start laying in about a month or so. I am not sure if they will breed true to naked necks or no. I am thinking the barred rooster on the barred hen will produce barred.

Tks for your help.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    " Project Turkens" When you get them to breed true and be to standard, they will be Turkens. Sounds cool!

3. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:So.....If they breed true, then I can call them Turkens? I am guess becasue the other breeds in there DNA would have been breed out?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    No- I'd give them 2 generations of breeding true first. You could still sell them as "project birds". This is done alot with other breeds to introduce new colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by