What can I do about hens that are pecking adolescent chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pakin, Apr 10, 2011.

1. pakin

pakin New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    I am very new to raising chickens (four days). I have two Buff Orpintons and two Plymouth Rock hens - all about 5 months old. At the same time I got these I also got two Brahma adolescent chicks. The older hens are very aggressive toward the chicks. Today they were huddled in a corner being tag-teamed by the orpingtons. One of the chicks had been pecked so badly that there was a wound about an inch in diameter. I removed both chicks from the pen/coop and treated the wound with neosporin. The chicks are spending the night in a dog crate. Will the hens ever stop bothering the chicks? I feel so helpless. I hope someone has some good advice! THANKS!

2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I know they say to introduce them slowly...like in a seperate area..are you able to have a smaller pen inside thie coop? The older hens have to get used to them...do they free range? Just make sure they have pleny of room to get a quick get away...are the younger ones about the same size as the older hens? I have two 10 week BO that I allow to free range( I supervise) with my older ladies..when they go after the younger ones..they make a quick get away...I also have them in a seperate coop and pen when they are not out with me...the older hens can see them and walk around them but can't get to them...It is sad to watch and you feel bad...are you able to put the dog crate right in the coop? The older hens will get used to them..but be prepared..they have to determine the pecking order and show the young ones who is boss!! Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by