What can I do about my roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by a123andpoof, Mar 27, 2012.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have 2 roosters both are brothers and they have one sister. Our other rooster really beat up the hens last summer and left many with bald butts. All but 4 or 5 are having trouble regrowing their feathers. We just finished one coop for our silkies and now are working on a separate one for the girls who are the worst.
    The roosters are around 7 or 8 months younger then the other girls but they seem to take care of them just they are rough on the already bald girls and I am noticing some bald spots coming back on one of my other hens. If I were to build a coop for just the 2 roosters do you think there will be problems? their are 15 girls between the two of them and 5 more in the grow out pen. I have tried using saddles with no success. Any ideas on how to prevent or help these girls? Our first option is the separate coop for the girls who are the worst. My dad says to get rid of the roosters, but I really like them and want them for breeding so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Are they 'polite' only breeding hens who are willing?

I ask because bully roosters will keep bald hens.

It's going to take some time for those feathers to regrow so building a bachelor pen is a good idea- move them at the same time so they don't 'forget' each other.

3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    They have 2 favorites both of which are reds and the worst looking. If the hen runs both chase most of the girls will either squat, or won't even let them mount. they don't care to much about the black sex links and if they run they usually don't chase. Its just the 2 reds that have it the worst. The other 2 bald black hens are also favorites, but not as much as the poor reds. If a pen for just the two roosters will work I am thinking that would be the best I just don't want the two the fight each other.

4. FireTigeris

If they are not fighting now and you move them at the same time (one under each arm or you and a friend at the same time exactly) that will be fine- I have three free ranging roosters that do not fight w/o girls.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why not put the roosters into a separate pen until you need fertile eggs? Sounds logical to me.

6. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    I was just worried about fighting. The have minor fights, but its always over the hens. I have noticed some bloody combs with the two but again taking them from the hens would I think eliminate their fighting. The fighting is when one mounts a hen the other tries to get him off so he can have a turn *rolls eyes* i love them both but feel for the hens.

So anyways am going to talk to my mom and see if we can do another coop tonight for those two.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Multiple roosters 'gang breeding' hens frequently causes rips in their backs/sides from toenails and spurs -- not a pretty sight and for sure a difficult situation with resultant infection.

1 person likes this.
  8. FireTigeris

*2 and QFT

9. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Yeah especially when one of the hens puts up with it and why they need to be separated. They don't have spurs yet, and I do plan on de- spurring them once they start to come in. I know I probably should butcher one, but the problem is the one that I would butcher is the best with the hens, and the other I am pretty attached to. As long as their is no fighting between the two in a separate pen that is what I hope to do.

10. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thats why Im only going to keep 1 rooster out of the 4 I have coming up. I Roo for 12 to14 of my hens Pick the best, the rest got in the pot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by