What can I do about this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FaerieChicken, Mar 2, 2014.

1. FaerieChicken

FaerieChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So on Friday, this girl was acting a little egg bound like! I gave her some TLC and fed her some yogurt and crumbles. The next day or yesterday she was in the coop perched not lethargic looking, and noticed yucky poo very smelly so I cleaned it best I could! This morning I gave her warm bath and showered off her butt so I could get her cleaned up better then there were a bunch of worms floating around! I lifted up her tail to looke at her vent and I could see a bunch of the all clustered together in the top right of the vent. I tried to wash them out but they are stubborn, as I washed out the tub they were trying to wriggle up the sides of the tub!
    Giving me the herby greenies right now!
    I have had the dewormer in their feed for the past month and bought DE and have been putting in with food and bedding and dusting holes.

Any suggestions, is it too late for her? What about my other girls?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Sorry I am no help on this one but maybe abump will help someone else see your post. Good luck.

3. FaerieChicken

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe these pics are a little better?

4. quinaldey

quinaldey Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Im no expert, but I do believe these look like maggots. Don't panic. Is there a wound? Are they coming from inside? They only eat dead flesh, so if she has a wound inside, or maybe eggbound (im new to chickens but a tech for dogs/cats) could cause this? Peroxide will kill them, but may irritate her skin. Look at the others and see if they have them...if not, I may be correct. Do you have flies where you are now? Yucky poo could attract flies who lay the eggs for these lovely creatures. Good luck, hope you have a strong stomach!

5. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    also, I would recommend a dilute iodine bath and prob some antibiotics. maybe an ointment if you can find where they are coming from. if you find a wound use a syringe without a needle, curved tip is deal, to flush out the wound (actually put the tip in and flush) with barely warm water and a touch of iodine. may need a vet for this one...but that's my humble opinion...let us know!

6. FaerieChicken

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    So they are "hiding" clustered together just under the skin of her upper right part of her vent! It has been pretty stormy and nonstop rain for the past 4 days so not sure about the flies, so other girls do not have any poo like she had/has. I thought maggots too!
    Not sure if there is any necrosis, and I thought she might have been egg bound at first but then the yucky poo and now worms! I know about peroxide flush but don't want to irritate her delicate insides! I am thinking maybe some chlorhexidine but don't know it will be effective on the maggots?

7. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    I would not flush inside with peroxide, but dilute iodine or really dilute chlorhex should work, its more the act of flushing than what you flush with...rinse well just to be safe but those are generally safe...this is just my opinion and experience...if they are that close to the opening, I bet you could flush them all out and hope for healing!! just remember, more can hatch every few hours, keep a close eye. Ill see what I can find on oral or topical for killing...we give capstar in small animals, no clue about chickens..ill get to googling...man I hate when my clients use dr. google, but what else could we do for a chicken? :) good luck!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. FaerieChicken

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    I will try betadine dilution I don't have any iodine. Hope this works, I have a double tomorrow and feed stores are closed today!

9. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
  10. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    betadine should be just fine, just dilute to a pale tea color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by