1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I do for her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    One of my chickens got pecked so much she bled. [​IMG] Not to bad, on her chest. she is missing the top layer of her chest feathers too. What can I do to help her recover? How long do you think it'll take?

2. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    i had this happen to a speckled susex rooster last year i would seperate him and clean up the wound it usually took a week or 2 but they kept pecking him, i had him out for the last time until he was fully feathered which that took close to a month or so. i put him back and the girls killed him a week later .. but ive never had any other pecking problems[​IMG]

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Well that's bizzare. My chickens are suddenly getting pecky and eating feathers to beat the band. They are targeting 3 chickens especially. Looking for ways to stop it!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Definitely keep her separated from the rest of the flock until the wound heals. It needs to be washed, preferably with saline solution or Vetricyn (but water will work fine also). Then you can put a triple antibiotic ointment or Blu-Kote on it.
    Good luck!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mostly, separate her so the others won't keep pecking her, as they will peck a bloody area.

Any basic wound care is fine, except don't use a topical med with a "caine" drug such as cetacaine, benzocaine, etc. A little soap and water for cleaning and then some Neosporin or similar is fine. Many people keep BluKote or another gentian violet med on hand. It's an antiseptic, plus the color masks the color of blood, so often the bird can be returned to the flock sooner. (If you're not familiar with it, it stains everything.)

The chest is an odd area to be pecked. Sometimes an injury in this area is from having injured themself on something in their environment. If they're going broody, they will pull their chest feathers out in preparation for setting on eggs. I haven't actually seen or heard of one bringing blood doing this, but anything is possible.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks! I am also afraid she'll get terribly lonely- she freaks out when she is by herself. [​IMG]

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I didn't think it was possible either, but I see the others doing it! She isn't broody. (she's a gold star) All of her chest is being pecked, but the spot where it is bleeding is more up by her neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by