What can I do for this leg ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poulet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7478_dscf0020.jpg
    One
    leg is splayed and the foot is scrunched up, the other leg is ok but foot scrunched . He is a one day old quail, I tried the tratment for spraddle leg but he just kept falling on his back. Then I cut his little leg getting the plaster off [​IMG] So hard when they are soo little. I really want to save him what can I do ?????

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    get some sewing thread. tie it and double knot it around the good leg's (the one that's under its body proper) shank, but not tight give it room for the leg the breath. they put a loop in the other end, slip it over the bad leg, and work the loop down til its pulled back into proper position. double knot it, cut the excess. it basically shackles the bad leg to the good leg which holds it in place.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    tried with a plaster to do that but because the toes are curled on both feet he just kept falling over. do I have to tape his toes straight too? that will be hard to do.

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    i'd forget the plaster if i were u. even with curled toes he'll learn to walk on the outside edge of the outermost toe. once the leg is back in place then i'd worry boutthe toes if they appear to slow his movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by