What can I do to amuse/ treat my hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by adpad5, Apr 17, 2016.

1. adpad5

adpad5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    They look bored and I'm just wondering how I can make them happy and give them something to do, [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    How old are they, are they full grown hens or little chicks? Are they in a pen all day?

3. Sam Drummond

Sam Drummond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Throw them some weeds or hang some on the fence. Bring in a wheelbarrow of leaves and let them push it over. Hang up an outdoor roost or put in a stump. They like mirrors but roos think that it is another rooster and will attack it.

4. adpad5

Jun 30, 2015
    They are a mix of ages 1-5 and are in a large pen about the size of half a tennis court

5. adpad5

Jun 30, 2015
    I'll try everything you said

6. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    One thing I read (but haven't tried) is to hang up a whole head of cabbage for them to peck at. Mine like to peck at larger scraps such as banana peels too. A big old wheelbarrow full of leaves would make them happy for sure! Do they have a spot for taking dust baths?

7. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    I've done the hanging of the cabbage, with 6 chickens and a rooster, it lasted about 3 days. They really enjoyed it this winter, but will ignore it during the spring and summer in favor of fresh greens.

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Toss out scratch grains, or take some scratch grains and freeze them into a solid block of ice and put that in the run...

9. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    I made mine a swing last weekend :) and I bought them a couple cat toy balls w bells in them.

10. adpad5

Jun 30, 2015
    Thank you I tried the cabbage and no luck they don't like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by