What Can I Do To Deter Hawks??? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenLoverGia, May 6, 2017.

1. ChickenLoverGia

ChickenLoverGia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and I have a quick question!
    I live in a very hawk-concentrated area, and I have lost so so so many of my beloved chickens to hawks. My chickens are free range, but they do have coops for the night and winter. Therefore most of the time they are out and about, which is when hawks get them. In order to keep my chickens free range I am willing to take the chance to let them out, but I would like it if anyone could share their tips (if they have any) on preventing hawks.
    Thanks!

2. ChloChlochicki

ChloChlochicki New Egg

May 5, 2017
    We have a lot of hawks too. Try hanging up CDs around your yard. You could also try putting fishing line over where they free roam, for example if you have a fence or trees you could tie it from the fence posts or tree branches. We have a large bush/shrub that they always run under to hide in, giving us enough time to put them in the run when the hawks seem especially threatening. Good luck!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    First is to have cover patches the hawk can enter only in foot. I have bramble, sumac and bamboo patches. Patches must be situated so chickens can get to them quickly. No hen only or hen only flocks, add an adult standard sized rooster or two. Hawk may still go after hens / juveniles but adult rooster will often hammer hawk when it does. I have been using game rooster but my Dominique crosses do it quite well. Place feeding and water stations near or even in the the cover patches. A properly trained dog also worked but very expensive option. I have also been having luck placing poultry netting around the cover patches making so hawks like Coopers can not just zip in from the side.

4. Red5

Red5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Type hawks into the search bar and hit search. There is a wealth of information on this site it is beyond capabilities of explanation. Odds are you will find your answer much faster that way than waiting for an answer. Let alone you'll learn a whole lot more too [​IMG]

5. ChickenLoverGia

ChickenLoverGia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks so much for the info, do you mean CDs like music CDs??? would that work because of the light reflection off of them??
    Thanks!!!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, CD's as in compact disks used for music recordings. The approach is debatable in terms of its effectiveness and not well suited in most free-range settings,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by