What can I do to fix her feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jordy21, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jordy21

Jordy21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone,

This is my first lot of chickens I have owned, and I have a variety of breeds. I only got them yesterday and when I got home noticed that my Plymouth Rock had deformed feet and is quite alot smaller than the others (however they are all different breeds so I guess it is hard to gauge).

She is 2.5 weeks old, is there something I can do to help her feet? Or will she grow ok without assistance?

Any advice appreciated :)

I also had my silver pencilled laced Wyandotte die this morning, despite having a warm brooder, fresh chick starter seed and water. Just started closing her eyes and became lethargic very quickly. I tried Vegemite in her water, but unfortunately didn't help. Any ideas what would have caused it?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    At two weeks old, it would be very hard to fix her feet right now. She should be able to grow up OK without treatment though. Her feet just might look a little odd to other people. If you are wanting to try to fix the toes, try splinting them. I had chicks that had feet like this, and they seemed to happy and healthy. I'm not so sure about what happened to your other chick (sorry for your loss) but I might be able to diagnose it if you could give me more information on it.

PS, the toe problem is usually caused from hatching problems. I had a terrible time with my first hatch, and most of their toes came out like that.

3. Jordy21

Mar 20, 2015

I have no issues with what they look like, I just want her to live the best life possible :). I think it's kind of cute haha I named her Forrest :p like Forrest Gump because he had leg problems haha.

I have no idea what happened to the other chick. They are in a large storage container with shavings as a base. An infrared heat lamp at one end and food and water at the other. They all hang out in the middle so I presume the temp is good. She was doing well and then the next morning had her head down and eyes closed. I gave her some Vegemite water to try and help, but she died within half an hour :(.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Yea. The chick that died seems to have got a condition called dropsy. It usually happens when a chick is mail ordered and weak. I think it is caused by stress. I have no idea why one of your chicks got that, because they seemed so happy in their home. Dropsy is just when a chick is stressed out and gets very weak. I got a few chicks from a mail order this year, and one looked like it had it. A while later, it died. I lost a total of three chicks from that order. (it isn't the hatcheries fault, its just bad luck) The best way to treat it in case a chick gets it is to make sugar water, hard boil an egg and get its yolk, and give it space. The water and yolk should give the chick energy. Dropsy is not contagious, but multiple chicks can get it at once.

5. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    I have an Ameracauna like this. She's almost 4 years old. I watched her very closely as a chick because I worried that the problem would become worse as she grew. She seems to do fine with it. She developed callouses on the sides of her toes from walking on them. I have noticed that her joints seem slightly swollen and when it's really cold out, she tries to stay off of the snow, so I am sure she has a bit of arthritis. Otherwise she seems pretty normal, happy and sassy.

6. Jordy21

Mar 20, 2015

Will keep a close eye on her development :) we never have snow where I live, it very rarely drops below zero, even in the middle of winter haha

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by