What can I do to help severely molting bird.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pbjmaker, Jun 22, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This is Dolly when she looks good:

[​IMG]

This is her right now:

[​IMG]

What can I do to help her feathers grow back in faster? She is my only bird that looks this bad. I have a bantam cochin that is missing head feathers but other than that is fully feathered. Dolly is just getting over a broody period so I wonder if she wasn't eating enough.

I realize part of the problem is that she is a NN frizzle and has less feathers to begin with and those seem to be more brittle (she is not a double frizzle though)

More protein?

2. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    More protein, feed her some dry kitten food and black oil sunflower seeds.

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] my frizzle sumatra is looking like that too
    [​IMG]
    extra protein helps a lot cat food, a tablespoon of tuna, I also mix wheat in to my feed and that has greatly improved feather quality

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You can feed her boiled eggs, chopped with their shell, liver (chopped, raw), cat food, or some canned salmon.

Wow, that is a stunning picture difference.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I am glad to know I am not the only one with a "chemo chicken"

Interesting that they are both frizzled...

I have cats so I will try the cat food, now if only I can keep the rest of the flock from gobbling it up.

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    all of my show birds get cat food mixed in makes their feathers look great. Cat fish food works very well too, lots of omega 3s in the fish meal. Hmmm I seem to be paying more attention to the birds diet than mine

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I wonder if they would like carp? I could go catch some and it would be free, plus I would get to fish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: