What can I do to make my duck get better?

crazyboutchickenfamily

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
My son raised this duck from a duckling. We got her for him for easter this year. She is a mallard. We have to put them up in a building at night because something got in the pen and killed both our males. We got the girls out the next day and put fresh water in the pen. All of them played in the water. A few minutes later one by one they started acting funny. They were stumbling around and when I picked them up their body temperature was very cool. I set them in direct sunlight and 3 of the 4 got over it. They are acting just fine but the one can't shake getting cold. Her head droops and she stumbles. All this happens when she gets cold. She eats and acts normal when she is warm. Right now I am keeping her in the house in a pet carrier and I really need help. I love my ducks and I don't want to lose any of them. I have heard you can give them apple cidar vinegar as a supplement. I have also heard about giving them poultry vitamins. This is our first flock of ducks and I want to do what is best for them.
fl.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
We have 6 in total. All the rest of them are fine except for the one. I think I just heard her sneeze a little bit ago. I'm going to try to give her some electrolytes. I might try the poultry rx medicine . It says it's for ducks too. It's for colds and other conditions. I have looked everywhere and also asked around to see if anyone had any ideas. Nobody has heard of this. I just don't know what else to do.
fl.gif

Just curious, do you have mushrooms in your yard? The reasone I ask is because I had asked the vet about ducks eating mushrooms and if they would make them ill. His answer was it would intoxicate them like they were drunk. He also said they are pretty smart and learn to stay away from certain things. Not saying this is what is wrong with your ducks but I would wonder myself if they were eating something that made them act this way.

No we have a special pen for our ducks. Thanks for letting me know about the mushrooms though. I noticed today that when the sun starts going down she gets worse so I bring her in the house and keep her in a pet carrier. she still acts funny for a little while but by morning she is just fine again and ready to go back with the rest of the flock. I have been doing this for 3 days now and I am just out of ideas. I will go tomorrow and get some meds for her I think.
he.gif
:fl

Ya know. My duck is doing this too. He's big black duck. Don't know what breed. But he's kinda chunky. My other duck is fine, my chickens are fine, this one walks like he's wearing socks on a linoleum floor. Has to toss his wing out to catch himself. It's only in the fifties.

Is there any way you could get to a vet with both of these duckies?

It sounds like they need medical attention.

Keep us updated

zo
x

Well I went and checked on her and again she's acting fine. I gave her some applesauce to eat and she chowed down on it. She drank all of her water overnight. I gave her more of that too. I think I'm going to give her electrolytes to get her more strength back. As far as her body temperature she isn't getting cold anymore so I think just maybe she has a cold. I will probobly not put her back with the others yet. I'll just keep her in the carrier so it is easier to treat her. No there is no vet close that sees any kind of poultry. All I know is we say prayers every night for her. My son knows that if anyone can make her better it's God.
smile.png
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Well I left her in the carrier all day today. I left her with plenty of water and applesauce and she is improving even more!
ya.gif
Thank you God!
bow.gif
We will wait and see how she is tomorrow. I talked with a friend that had a duck a while ago that got too hot. She said the actions were very similar to what my duck was doing. That made me wonder that maybe when ducks body temperature gets too hot or too cold maybe it could effect them in somewhat similar ways.
jumpy.gif

This morning she was standing up waiting on me!
wee.gif
No droopy neck and acting much better.
ya.gif
She really loved her applesauce this morning!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom