What can I do to secure the "run"?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justhatched, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Our coop has an old dog run against it. It's not attached just right up to it. I put a large tarp over the top to keep them in and other things out. When it gets really windy the "run" topples over. Any suggestions on how I could keep it from toppling over (secure it) and keeping the top covered?

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    The least expensive route to secure the walls would be getting the 8 ft round fence posts ($1.97 each at Lowes), dig the post hole right beside each corner of the dog run, bury the post 2 ft in the ground. Then bracket each corner of the run to the post. I have the heavy duty plastic netting over the top, keeps them in & other things out, except the rain & snow. [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I think if you go to the hardware store you can ask for these tie downs that look like rebar. You just pound them into the ground and attach them to your run. I will see if I can find a picture to show you. I think they must be inexpensive too and easy to put in. [​IMG]

4. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
  5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I never thought of that. Thanks!!!

6. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Those look neat! Thanks.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We've used t-posts driven into the ground and it's worked well. I bought a used kennel with almost a dozen 10' panels and a half dozen gates. We've used some of the spare gates in convenient places in our fencing and used the t-posts to secure them. Plus, we've used kennel sections against the coop as one of the versions of our run.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Tarps act as sails and will collect rain and snow eventually ripping. Better to use wire of some sort to cover the top and prevent the lift caused by the tarp in winds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by