What Can I Do With ALL These Apples??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I went to the feed store today and they gave me a HUGE bag of apples. They were locally picked and there were tons of bags that apparently weren't selling, so they just gave me a big bag for free. It must be 30 or 40 pounds. I can feed some to my bunny who loves apples, but what else? Do chickens like them? The feed store lady suggested making apple sauce. I'm not a huge fan of apple sauce, but I wonder if chickens like it? Any other suggestions? Preferably something freezable, since I live alone and can't possibly eat all of them quick enough.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    core and slice them thin and soak in lemon juice and water...

Dust them with cinnamon and sugar and dehydrate them into apple chips [​IMG]

3. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Chop or grate, put in crockpot, add a splash of red wine and a good sprinkle of cin. and simmer till cooked well.
    Place in wide mouth pint jars or freezer bags and freeze.

4. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    apple butter!

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Oh Boyd, that's brilliant. I even have a dehydrator that a friend gave me that I've never used! [​IMG]

I wonder if wild birds would like apple chips broken up? I don't think I would go through THAT many apple chips by myself.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Oh Boyd, that's brilliant. I even have a dehydrator that a friend gave me that I've never used! [​IMG]

I wonder if wild birds would like apple chips broken up? I don't think I would go through THAT many apple chips by myself.

you would be surprised [​IMG]

The lemon juice and water is to keep them from browning while you are working on large batches [​IMG]

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Apple pie for Thankgiving! AND apple pie filling for later [​IMG]

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:And then what would I use that for? Like an ice cream topping type thing?

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Cut them up an water bath can them. Im sure you will find uses for them over the next few years.

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Apple cobbler, apple pie, apple butter, applesauce, apple dumplings, apple cake, apple tart, apple torte, apple jelly...

Yum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by