what can i do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karhernandez33, Nov 8, 2010.

1. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    this hen i got from my mom she was big ,but now she is bigger and mouth open ( like panting) and no feathers around vent she is bleeding (my have gotten hurt not sure).not bleedind from vent but around there..pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i tryed to get good pics but she is stressed ...

about 4 days ago she tryed to get up on the roosts with the others but didnt make it fell right on her back. i picked her up (god she was heavey) after that shes been sleepin on the floor.

any ideas

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If she has a wound (not bleeding from vent) I'd try to clean it off with whatever you have on hand (iodine, soap and water, peroxide). Rinse well.

Then I'd put some antibiotic ointment with no pain killer on it.

She is in shock or pain it looks like from her beak being open. Keep her warm and dry. Give her scrambled egg and/or yogurt. Water to drink.

I don't know what else to say. Did she get pecked by another chicken or is this from a predator? Maybe sleeping on the floor she got bitten by a rat?

3. karhernandez33

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    So far no rat problem....i only have five chickens and she is the oldest (not sure how old) one bantam roo .they aren't very aggresave . i have four dogs but they cant get to them..she has been not acting like her self for a week,the panting and bleedin i just see today..... thanks for the response

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I would give her a lower roost if possible- something to get her off the floor in the coop. Something might be chewing on her.

If it is her buddies pecking her I would paint the wound with Pick No More Lotion (rooster booster)- that has worked for me- and keep her separate until she isn't bloody (healed). They will just peck at blood.

There are also little blinders they sell for chickens. I forget the name.... For the perpetrators of course.

I hope she gets better soon and it isn't serious!

5. karhernandez33

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    thanks, i will try that when i put her back in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by