What can I do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marthah, Oct 16, 2011.

1. marthah

marthah New Egg

Oct 16, 2011
    We had a baby bantam chick get attacked this AM by a hawk. We got her back but she has a nasty gash on her neck. I tried to bandage it but she has to have her neck stretched out with the bandage and it seems like she wants to hunch it down so I took it off. We got the rest of the chicks and put them in a covered cage (one is missing) and now we want to try to either save the injured one or make her more comfortable as she passes.... ANY advice is appreciated!!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. marthah

marthah New Egg

Oct 16, 2011
    Quote:Thank you!! I read the other post and realized that this lil' bird may be OK. The wound looks horrid and I swear there is a visible tendon that moves when she swallows but the blood is drying and she ate a little. I am going to keep her inside in the bathroom so none of the others try to taste the crimson red, and if she doesn't make it I will know we tried to help her. I realized as I inspected it that it isn't a puncture and some of the skin is just gone, but everything looks like it is still connected and she is being very strong, doesn't seem to be getting weak, and makes sounds to us when we come into the bathroom. We are going to give her some peace and quiet for now and offer her more food in a couple hours so I can observe her eating more closely, water is available now. Thank you again for your direction and yes this is my first post to this group, but I am very happy that I had it to turn to. I don't feel so alone and I think 99% of the people here love their birds like we do.... I mean to throw yourself on a grenade to protect her....LOVE!!!!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like you have things well covered. Good luck with your little patient.

Imp- I'll keep my [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by