1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I expect at a poultry show?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by HoneyTree, Aug 3, 2011.

1. HoneyTree

HoneyTree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hi, everyone!

I'm an enthusiast, not yet a chicken keeper. I'm in the reading-the-books-and-websites phase. But I found out there's a poultry show coming up in my city in November. I'm planning on going to it just for fun, but I'm wondering, too, if I can expect to buy some supplies and pullets there, if I get myself to that stage in time. Would anyone be willing to tell me what I can expect? Also, what might be the most valuable parts of a poultry show for a total beginner?

Thanks!

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    HoneyTree, you can expect to find stuff for sale from vitamins to transport cages, feed, and medicine for poultry. There is usually a sale area for people with birds to sell. I will caution you though that breeders generally keep the best for themselves or if you are just looking for good stock then its a great place to shop. Another caution is to only buy inside the show area at approved sale cages. Some people will set up shop out the back of their truck out in the parking lot. I would not recommend that.

Shows are a lot of fun to see all the different breeds up close and personal and also you can talk with folks about why they like a certain breed to help you find your nitch.

Have fun!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you don't find birds to purchase, you might be able to find a breeder who has birds that you like and make arrangement to buy chicks when he has them.

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:Getting to meet other people who are as chicken crazy as you. They are a wealth of information and almost always willing to talk bird. Also, you will see so many breeds and varieties...it will help you decide from the beginning what type of bird you want. If you have a few ideas of the types of birds you want, you will be able to check them out in person before you commit to buying.

Where is the show you wish to attend?

5. HoneyTree

Jul 22, 2011
    Northwest Arkansas
    Thanks, y'all, for the replies. It sounds like shows are a world of chicken education all to themselves! I can't wait to be able to see the breeds on my "short list" in person. It's the Arkansas Fall Double Show (I think that's the name of it) that I want to attend. And I've never even *held* a chicken, so just to be able to watch and learn will be a treat.

6. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    HoneyTree, where in Arkansas is it? And the date?

7. HoneyTree

Jul 22, 2011
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. Gerry2011

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks, HoneyTree I've put that on my calendar as a must do. Are you close to the Fayetteville area?

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Jusr a wild guess...but you might find CHICKENS??

sorry, had to do it [​IMG]

wish I lived closer to poultry shows here in ontario!! they sound fun

Ema

10. Gerry2011

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Darn it, wished I'd thought of that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by