What can I expect to pay for adult Muscovys?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rkhyland, Mar 6, 2009.

1. rkhyland

rkhyland Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am attending an auction tomorrow with some Muscovy ducks, no more info than that as to color/sex.

What is a going price for these birds? I just don't want to way over pay![​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I would not pay over $10.oo for a good adult.. however it is easier to hold out if you have laying ducks already..

last year I was at a swap where they were selling almost full grown pieds fpr 2/$7..

I guess it depends on how easy they are to come by in your area.

I bought a nice pair of chocolate muscovy for $20.oo.. last year..

I am going to an auction tomorrow.
    I will keep an eye out and let you know..

.jiminwisc.......

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought mine fm a breeder about 50 miles fm me. She was thinning her flock out before spring breeding so I got my 5 young adults for $20 total.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    OK , I went to the auction today(sat)..

I got the first bid on three female chocolate muscovys.. the bidding went so fast that I went over my set price before I could bid again..

they went for $37.50 each..

the nest batch was 5 chocolate muscovys.. they went for $50.oo ea

one person bought all of them..

not me!!!!![​IMG]

the lady next to me said that for that price, they had better lay golden eggs..

5. rkhyland

rkhyland Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2008
    South Dakota
    I ended up getting 6, was pretty late when we got home and the auction was packed! So, I really don't even know a lot of detail about what I bought! I believe they are all black and white. $8-10 was the going price, I think a few may have gone slightly over $10 but that was the general range. There were tons of them! Blue/white, black/white and chocolate/white as well as solids of those colors.

Had I known how many there would be, I wish I had held out for the blues! Oh well, I have some to play with and if I like them can look at getting blues/chocolates later! [​IMG]

6. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    For good birds i wouldn't pay over 25.oo for them, but It all really depends on the breeders stock/lines and what uses your looking for, i think the examples below are pretty accurate?

Pets; 15.oo
    Meat Birds; 20.oo
    Show Birds; 25.oo+

And that without the typical adding of price for laying females.

7. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    Sure wish you were closer to me i have i have way to many of them and i could give you a nice pair for the great price of FREE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by