What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liddylou92, Sep 22, 2016.

1. liddylou92

liddylou92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    I have 11-19 week old isa browns. They aren't laying yet but are showing behaviours that they will soon. What can I expect as far as egg production from them over the next several months? TIA

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    ISAs are proprietary type of red sex link - and RSL are egg laying machines (birds of choice for commercial production houses that do brown eggs due to productivity and ease of sexing). You can expect that initially, as each bird starts to lay, you will receive small eggs and they may come somewhat sporadically. In a matter of weeks the birds' bodies will regulate their system and you'll see a regular pattern in their production and the eggs will slowly come "up to size" in the first couple of months. You will be flooded with eggs, an average of 6 per week per bird, once everything is up and running.....this will continue through to their first molt at about 18 months of age. Most first year layers, especially those of the high production breeds/hybrids tend to be less effected by the shorter hours of light that come with winter.

3. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    Just wondering if my RSL's, and BSL's will be delayed in onset of laying with the shortening days of fall? I'm thinking my BR's, and BA's probably will be. Hoping not, but not going to hold my brreath either.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It has not been my experience with first year layers -- as noted above, they tend to be less effected by the seasonal stuff.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Good rule of thumb is 4-6 eggs per hen per week once they get up & running.
    Given the breed you have, might get closer to 5-7/hen/week when they really get rolling.
    Make sure to have plenty of oyster shell available and good high protein layer feed to take advantage of their genetics.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by