what can i feed my young turkeys?

Safronsue

Hatching
Apr 22, 2019
Hi,
my 4 month old turkeys are both a bit poor looking, kind of thin, scrawny. They are free range and on the same feed as the chooks, which are all fine. I read turkeys need more protein so i bought some soya mix and some mixed seeds and also tried soaked alfalfa pellets that the horse eats but they are not keen on anything. The free ranging is also slim pickings at present it hasn't rained here since June. I'm in Greece. Any suggestions how to feed them up a bit?

Also, should I be treating them for parasites?

Hi,
my 4 month old turkeys are both a bit poor looking, kind of thin, scrawny. They are free range and on the same feed as the chooks, which are all fine. I read turkeys need more protein so i bought some soya mix and some mixed seeds and also tried soaked alfalfa pellets that the horse eats but they are not keen on anything. The free ranging is also slim pickings at present it hasn't rained here since June. I'm in Greece. Any suggestions how to feed them up a bit?

Also, should I be treating them for parasites?
Four month old heritage turkeys can look thin and scrawny compared to broad breasted four month old turkeys.

Not all chicken feeds are created equal. A poor quality chicken feed may be okay for chickens but can be harmful to young turkeys. Check around for a higher protein feed. Sorry I cannot be very helpful since i have no idea what feed types might be available in Greece.

Perhaps @Thomas Lamprogiorgos can help you.

High protein game bird feed works wonders. Check for parasites regularly. If they start laying around getting skinny, you might want to start treatment for the dreaded Black Head, if you know it's in your area. If you wait till they start to poop yellow, it's too late and there isn't much you can do. I've seen it wipe out whole flocks.
Black Head lives in the soil and is in just about every country. It doesn't affect chickens but turkey raised where chickens were can get it.

Back
Top Bottom