What Can I Feed That Will Fatten Them Up

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Diamante, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    Some of our chickens seem kind of on the thin side and I was wondering what I could mix with there feed to fatten them up some?
    Thanks Lisa

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

What & how much are you feeding?

3. Diamante

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    We feed layer food from TSC. When they run out of food in the contianers they get more so who knows how much they really get.

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:IMO they should never run out of feed. Use large self filling feeders. Having premium fresh feed available 24x7 makes it so not only the alfa birds get the "best stuff"

You want to fatten these birds for what reason? Eating? OR just think some of the layers are a bit thin? If you just have a couple of layers that are just a little thin, maybe give them some leftovers like pasta as a treat. Be sure they do not have worms.
    ON

5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Make them eat more. Even if my girls have food and water I will add alittle bit more or even just play with it and they will come running over and eat and drink. Also feed them lots of treats.

6. Diamante

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    They dont run out of feed, they just get to were the bowls are 1/2 to 3/4 empty. Sorry i should have been a little more clear on that. They arent all thin i just think they should be a little fatter. They arent for eating, just pets and show birds. I think it may be from were some of them went broody and didnt want to get up and eat as much, we had to make them get up, and they just never fattened back up much.
    Lisa

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    have you ever dewormed them?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Birds don't eat at night. Check the protein percent and see if it is low. My layer has 16 percent and they free range I give them fresh food once a day.

9. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Biscuits and gravy. Worked on me![​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Why do you want them fat? Unless you're raising them for meat--in which case poultry finisher should do the job--they don't need to be plump. My best layers are usually a little on the "thin" side and the only time they plump up is if they are going broody. As long as there is food in front of them 24/7 they should be getting enough. BTW, check the "overeating" thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by