What can I give for pain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtnhomechick, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have a 9 month old pullet who came home from ranging two nights ago limping. She must have a sprain and she is whining with pain.

What can I give her for pain and how would I give it.

Thanks,

Mary

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have heard you can give a chicken aspirin. I would do a search to see how much and exactly how to give it.
    Hope this helps, and I hope your pullet feels better.
    Also, check the bottom of her feet and make sure there isn't something stuck in her foot or check for bumblefoot.

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:OK and Thanks.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    You can get some Metacam from your vet. Safer than aspirin. Good luck,
    Mary

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Take a half a baby aspirin and dissolve it in water. Have the chicken drink that.

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:OK and Thanks.

I checked and the foot seems fine. No cuts or bumblefoot. She's still limping though. And Whimpering. I hate to see a bird in pain.

Right now I have her in our living room in a rabbit hutch, hoping she will rest it better there.

I gave her a baby aspirin yesterday. Guess I better just give a half of one today. Don't want to OD her an aspirin.

She is eating and drinking fine and she did lay an egg yesterday after I brought her in.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mary

7. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    so glad to hear she is doing better!

8. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I hope your bird feels better. Does she seem to whine as much after getting the aspirin? It takes about 1/2-1 hour for the meds to take effect in people, but I don't know how long it takes in chickens. You may also want to add Terramycin to the water just in case there is some unseen infection. I would keep her still and warm for a few days and not let her move around much, then see if she seems a little better.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    There's no sign of a cut. She must have sprained it. She whimpers alot. I took her out to the pen today while the others free ranged to see if she would do better there. She just laid there. I left her out for an hour and brought her back in.

She's eating very well. Not drinking too much but I am hydrating her with a syringe which she hates.

She laid an egg again today........which I don't care about but it's worth mentioning.

I just feel for her.........I haven't noticed that the aspirin is helping her.

She is using her wings and 1 leg to get around......but reluctantly.

Hope I don't lose her........she is a real sweetie.

Dang!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by