1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What can I give my ducks as Treats

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by friskebluegills, Sep 22, 2010.

1. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Hi, I was wondering what I could feed my ducks as treats. I give them their regular feed, but I really want my silver appleyards to become friendly and come up to me on their own. Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
  3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Songster

Most ducks love frozen (thawed) peas.. I have 4 calls.. they each have a favorite although eat it all.. everyday they get chopped up tomatoes, peas, frozen (thawed) corn and I buy the Romaine Lettuce hearts and chop them up and throw it in their pond.. they know the containers I have treats in and when they see me with the containers they are staring up at me WAITIN !! lol.... gotta luv em.
    their is a great list of treats in the sticky note at the top of this page... nettie made it and its awesome....!! all kinds of treat ideas!!

4. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks a lot for pointing me in the direction of that other post, it's great. I think I'll try applesauce later and peas tomorrow. Thanks again [​IMG]

5. Breezr

Breezr Hatching

Sep 8, 2012
    I recently took over the care of a badly injured white duck- and- while babying her thru recovery- I found she [​IMG]ADORES[​IMG] watermelon!!! Now- since I don't know very much about duck diets- and I don't want to give her duckie diabetes- I'm assuming- as with anything else- I think balance is the key. So- as MUCh as she [​IMG]LOVES[​IMG] it- we limit her to about 6small-ish bites (about the size of the end of our pinkie finger) with her breakfast feed and then 6more at bedtime; she's still recooping indoors at night.... and may always be:) We also love watermelon- so- during the day we leave about 4inches of watermelon rind with just a little pink watermelon meat remaining for her to pick clean. She also seems to greatly enjoy torn up baby spinach leaves in her water at night. In the morning- no trace of them remains & this supplements her niacin & thiamin requirements:)>

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Sounds like your on the right track, I have this book marked for reference just to make sure I am giving my flock what is safe for them to snack on. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements and since your duck has a leg injury giving her extra niacin is a good idea too.

7. 3Ducks

3Ducks In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    mine love raymen noodles, but i only add 1/4 of the flavor packet, they love beef flavor, lettuce , give them worms and they will be your pal forever [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Mine love spinach or lettuce or anything green. I chop up cabbage and mix it with their feed and they gobble it right up. Cabbage is cheaper than lettuce most of the time, and a big head of cabbage will last several days. They went crazy when I mixed a bit of left-over chicken and shrimp gumbo in with their feed! Mine will eat just about anything, so I try a few times a week to mix some left-overs or cabbage in with their feed. I don't give it to them every day, as I don't want them to become so spoiled they won't eat their food without something being mixed in with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by