1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I plant for my chickens as treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luvanimals2, Oct 14, 2010.

1. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi, I am expecting day olds next week and I am a gardener too. I would like to sow some seeds so they can munch on it later. I got the idea because I saw a Tasty Chicken treat pack from Sandhill but it is too late to purchase it now. I will look into it but I think it is too late. Any ideas of what I can grow for them? The pack had Essex Rape, millet, mustard, turnips and winter radishes. I have everything but the Essex Rape and millet. If you can make some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nancy

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Kale. Mine love chickweed and dandelion greens, too.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Mine loved mustard and any leaf lettuce. They also like the weeds I pull.
    You seem like a sweet chicken Mom!
    Congratulations on taking the plunge! You'll love it.

4. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    i actually considered planting a bunch of weeds in one of my raised beds for the chickens... they LOVE broad-leafed weeds.

5. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I have some seeds for Kale because I like it too so I could easily sow that.

Thanks for the ideas!

Nancy

6. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I guess they will be going into my beds and eating the greens that are for me. HA! I LOVE mustards and Leaf lettuce.

I LOVE all of the ideas. I really appreciate them. I will make a mix and go and sow it.

Ah, thanks! I just love chickens. Always have. I guess I was brought up a country girl in the city. My parents were immigrants and my dad raised ducks back home. He let me raise all the chickens I wanted as a child so I am not new to it. I just took a break but decided that I really want to have a flock again. I miss their antics.

Nancy

7. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I am in Southern California too and I am surprised you have to consider planting weeds. HA! With the rains we had and the heat, the weeds are growing everywhere. I hope the chicks will grow up fast enough to help me weed.

Nancy

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Millet is birdseed.
    You can plant the birdseed.

I have grown it. The wild birds will beat them to it if you don't put netting over it. They LOVE it.

You can just cut the millet off at the stalk and lay it on the ground for them. It is easy to grow. (Also you can just feed them birdseed.)

And from this website:
    http://www.recipenet.org/health/articles/millet.htm
    "Millet sold as bird seed has not been hulled. Unless you have a beak, buy only hulled millet for human consumption."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Seeds, of any kind--mine just devoured my newly seeded lawn. Seriously--anything that has leaves the grows fast will be eaten off as soon as it pops above the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by