what can i plant in the chicken yard???

cbenson6820

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
I just moved in december and set up a fenced in area for my chickens at my new house.I have about 30 chickens in the area. I dont know the square footage of the fenced area but i know i used 200 feet of wire to make 3 sides of the fenced area and the fence connects to back of each side of the coop.There wasn't much vegetation there to begin with but my chickens killed what was there and have no grass or vegetation to attract bugs or eat. Is there anything i can plant that they will like to eat and that they won't kill? I've thought about fencing off part of the area and planting grass seed and when thats tall enough opening that area up and fencing off another section but i'm pretty sure they will kill it faster than i can grow it. Mcmurrays sells seeds for something called proso that chickens are supposed to like. Would that work? Any recommendations would be appreciated?

See, I'm having the same issue. I have the same amount and my hens just eat and run down everything I plant in the run! I haven't found a permanent solution for it yet but when I cut the grass I spread it out in there so they have grass until next time. Good luck with your flock!
smile.png

Last edited:
Go for some kind of ornamental grass, it survives droughts better for me, and doesnt go all brown.
Where are you from? I could send you some to try out.

the fencing off could work but i'm sure it would take next to no time for it to be gone. I read on here somewhere that they made a frame out of 2x4's raise a couple inches off the ground and covered it in rabbit wire. That way when the grass grows the chickens can eat it but they can't scratch the roots out since they can't get to them. Hope you figure something out i do the same with grass clippings like you for now.

i live in VA and the area is pretty well shaded so something that cant take much sun would be ok if that opens up any more options. i thought about zoysia grass.

Many grasses will grow well in the shade, also many Aralia species. Aralia cordata might br the best bet.

honestly it doesn't even have to be grass. any plant that can cover a good bit of ground, is edible to the chickens, and will attract bugs will work.

Honestly there Is nothing that you can grow in the pen that will survive chickens, I have 6 hens in 600sq ft and there is nothing left. I and some of the others have made compost piles in the pen that we throw all our kitchen scraps and grass cutting on, it gives them something to dig threw and attract bugs and worms for them. It is winter here so I throw half a bale of straw out for them, they redecorate their yard for a while then I rake it all up on to the compost pile and spread out some more. It has a triple purpose, gives the hens something to dig threw, stops the pen getting muddy and slippery and makes great compost for my garden.
I also recently made a frame like jeepboy suggested and am growing some wheat, barley and alfalfa from them, I only did this 5 days ago so nothing growing just yet but hopefully it will be a nice little green salad bar for them soon.
Good luck :)

when i clean out my rabbit cages i always dump the compost in the chicken yard. they go crazy over that. I think kudzu would grow in the chicken pen but i hate dealing with that stuff and it will take over the fence and trees.

I planted a food plot last year and my chickens loved roaming around in that. It had clover and chicory and some other stuff. most of the plants were taller than the chickens and some of it is still there this year. maybe i will try that.

Back
Top Bottom