What can I plant in the pen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TK Poultry, May 11, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I have 3 going one 4 pens and I want to plant some kind of vegetation in there but I dont want to plant it and they kill it. I have Bantam Ameraucanas, Bantam Cochins, and Swedish Ducks. I want plants that I can plant and they wont kill

What would that be?

2. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Quote:Unfortunately, nothing. If there's any plant they won't peck and destroy, their poops certainly will kill.

3. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    In my experience, they will kill anything growing in their pen. Grass, shrubs, etc. unless it's a huge pen, but even then it will be rather pecked over if it's in a place where they are kept in for long periods of time. Sorry. I wish it wasn't so, but I've even heard of folks getting a chicken tractor, letting the birds tear up the vegetation down to pure dirt after a few days, then moving it onto another area as a way to clear the ground for garden plots! Maybe you could do a pretty, plant-lined path to your coop area? Any ideas anyone?

4. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I got this idea off another BRYC'er who suggested building such a "protected garden".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Realized I had these wire drawers around and they are perfect! I have red winter hard wheat growing in most of the drawers along with chives and mint and lemon balm in others.
    The chickens can only get to what is close to the top of the wire so it's no different than mowing the lawn. Continual growth and entertainment with no maintainance here.

5. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    The grass grows so well that I have to mow once a week in my chicken yard. Can I plant nasturtiums around the fence so they will climb it? they are not toxic to chickens are they?

6. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    Quote:This is a GREAT idea!! I will probably do that for my coop when we enlarge it. Thanks!!

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    The protected plots are a great idea !

Laurie's Silkies :

The grass grows so well that I have to mow once a week in my chicken yard. Can I plant nasturtiums around the fence so they will climb it? they are not toxic to chickens are they?

You must be blessed with a big yard . Nasturtiums are completely edible .​

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. luckyramu

luckyramu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Apple Valley
    k.
    thanks Leenie for the great idea. I threw some birdseed in the pen and water it, as a kind of random act to see what grows.
    Your protected garden photos are a wonderful idea.
    [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You cannot grow anything unless it's protected. I threw rye seed out right before a light rain. Did any rye grass grow? Nope, the chickens ate all the seeds. I've also had to put little fences around my rose bushes so they won't eat those. Last year, they didn't touch the roses, this year they won't let the poor things grow.

10. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    new2chooks you are right. Notice the natural border around all my little cages. That is space were the chickens could grab the seed clean. But what's left to grow grows well and strong. No yanking those seedlings out because by the time the wheat hits the top of the wire it's happily planted itself deep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by