What can I plant??

Enchanted1s

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
New Mexico
So, I have a question for all you growers out there. I am in the process of building a second coop for the new babies. There is going to be a small space that would be ideal to plant something that the chocks would enjoy having for their very own. My problem is - this area is going to be mostly shaded. It may have some slight exposure to the southern sky, but mostly just shade. We are in the desert SW and right now they just have sandy dirt. Is there anything that I could plant for them? that will grow in shade? We don't have a garden, or a green thumb at all. TIA

So, I have a question for all you growers out there. I am in the process of building a second coop for the new babies. There is going to be a small space that would be ideal to plant something that the chocks would enjoy having for their very own. My problem is - this area is going to be mostly shaded. It may have some slight exposure to the southern sky, but mostly just shade. We are in the desert SW and right now they just have sandy dirt. Is there anything that I could plant for them? that will grow in shade? We don't have a garden, or a green thumb at all. TIA

in researching what you might plant you have three factors I can think of right now:
*Dry shade
*sandy soil
**The soil where you are is most likely alkaline soil chemistry (azaleas require acidic chemistry but oh, they are lovely.) You could do a soil test or ask your County Extension office. You'll also need to know your growing zone.

Once you have those factors figured out, go to PrairieMoon.com to find the plants or seeds for your situation. There's also a nursery in New Mexico. HighCountryGardens.com.
Both businesses specialize in native plants and are great with helping one choose the best plants for a given situation. good luck!
Personally, I'd be looking at perennial shade loving herbs that don't need a lot of moisture. Once they are established, they are low maintenance.

After you plant the shrub you’ll have to fence it off front the chickens for a season or 2 so that it can get its roots established or else the chickens will dig it up.
x2.
You may want to consider planting semi-mature trees. Apple, fig, choke-cherry, and crabapple trees are a favorite of chickens. Blackberry and raspberry bushes are something to consider.

I have decided that I am putting a small storage area off of the side of the coop (instead of nesting boxes). I am concerned about blocking ALL of the air from the South, so it will be raised (30") the area directly under the storage is where I was thinking I need to plant something. The entire structure will have a roof that extends an extra 2 foot or so in all directions.

It will be easy enough to fence it in while the plants take root. It is a small area - about 20 inches by 60 inches.

Oh - you said 'grass' and 'thrives' together! Never heard that before ! Here in the desert LOL
Lol., Heard.. when we plant it it only needs water for germination. Crazy stuff rye grass is. If we plant some under clear plastic tubs, we water it one time & the condensation alone will grow it and it is a tasty treat for the birds. In your neck of the woods you probably want to research Native Plants. Good luck and best of Fortune with your endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom