what can I plant?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I want to do some simply landscaping this year and I know that chickens can be brutle on plants. Is there anything I can plant that they wont want to eat. I heard that you can lay down chicken wire so the plants can grow without being scratched up. Also, I want to plant a chicken garden. what kind of plants and herbs would they like. thanks

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you can plant it, they can eat it.[​IMG]

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    if you plant it, they will come. [​IMG]

4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    That's been my experience, too! You basically have to cage what you don't want them to eat!! There's lots of stuff you can plant for them to eat, too!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You need to head on over to the easy garden!

(+1 point to Wildsky) [​IMG]

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Irises, day lilies and hastas have survived my chickens the best out of any of the plants in my yard. In other gardens I hammer in stakes and place rocks all around the plants to discourage scratching. It works well for me. The rocks make it uncomfortable to scratch and the stakes don't leave them much room to do it.

Zucchini and cucumbers are great to grow for poultry as they produce heavily and are easy to grow. Cherry tomato plants are also great.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:You only get a point if you actually post the url... here, I'll give you an example:

www.TheEasyGarden.com

[​IMG]

Seriously, I use my chickens for week abatement because they literally keep anything from growing in our large unlandscaped back yard.

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, we have discussed planting for our chooks on the easy garden!!
    Grow some sunflowers, grapevines over the coop, figs,lucerne, clover, comfrey,peas, beans, corn,artichokes.
    Stay right away from azaeleas and any type of jasmine (deadly).

9. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I have had them strip my broccoli plants in my garden so I know they LOVE that LOL. Purple green beans are good to plant. They can eat the ones low and you can still pick the ones up high for your family. ItÂ’s very entertaining to watch them jumping up to grab a bean up high. Tomatoes and cucumbers; I always plant extra for my chickens! Another thing you can plant is a fig tree. I have a huge fig tree and when I let mine out to free range the first thing they do is all run to the fig tree to look for figs...They love them. Blueberry bushes are good to...but my husband does not like it when they eat our blueberries.
    Mitzi

10. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    cool. i give mine a lot of peppers anyway. a natural wormer too. yeah!

do you happen to know specifically it's the seeds that act as wormer, the "meat" or both?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by