What can I put in their water to give them a boost?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Georgia Boy 1970, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually don't brood chicks or hatch chicks in the summer. I always start hatching in january. But right now I brooding some turken bantams. They just don't seem as thrifty as my chicks that I hatch in the early part of the hatching season. Is there something that I can add to their water to give them a boost?
    Thanks

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    There are numerous things you can add to the water. I stay away from the Vit. and Mineral crap you buy at feed stores. That is just a money maker for that company so it has very little to help your birds. It is about as low a dose as possible and still able to market it.

I have added Niacin to my duckling waters and when chicks were grown in with them the Niacin boosted them to double the size of the chicks the same age in other brooders.
    I also put garlic and apple cider vinegar in the water about 3 times a week.
    I buy Dawes A-D-E online and add it twice a week.

I never put more than one thing in the water at a time as some things can cancel the others out.

Make sure you deworm your birds and I always add grass with dirt clods to brooders as they mature to give them good bacteria and enzymes to help promote immunity and health.

Everyone does it differently and you just have to find what works well for you and your birds.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Amy/Nadine, is that you???? [​IMG]

And yes, I agree with her. All I can add is that you want to use a plastic waterer when adding things, galvanized will break down.

4. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a recipe on byc member's website, can't remember who? But it was called cyclone cider. It contains apple cider vinegar,ground cayenne pepper, and salt. This was used for respiratory problems(?,if I remember correctly)But it can used on a regular basis,just omit the salt. Would this be good to use? Also what is dawes a d e?Where do you get niacin? And how much do you use?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Some people put Poly-Vi-Sol without iron in their water for a boost. It's not an agricultural product; it's a vitamin for infants (human). Never tried it myself.

6. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I give my chicks Kombucha in their water. I also give them raw milk and yogurt made from raw milk. If I am outta kombucha I add raw ACV and organic molasses (dark black not the brown as it has more vitamins and minerals.). We have only lost 4 out of 305 and one was because he (cornish cross 4 weeks) choked on a huge grasshopper. There hasn't been any medications or dewormers or vaccinations given to them and they get organic feed too. I know the better they eat the better we will.

Honey
    @Mondorfment

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been putting Bragg's ACV in the water every time (we have hard water so I'm hoping that in addition to the health benefits it keeps the scale away) and Probios about twice a week. The vitamins made the water slimy and stinky so I quit using it for now. I may use it once a week or every couple of weeks.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I use broiler booster and cider vinegar in the waterers.. Broiler booster I bought from Murray Mcmurray and have fed it to all my dual purpose chicks. THe vinegar I use at 1 tablespoon per gallon.

Here are a couple other things you might consider:

Could the babies be too hot, being summer and all? I check temp at floor level under heat source AND at floor level furthest away from the heat source.

New more ventilation: more fresh air? Not meaning to create a draft just more air exchange.

Good luck.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Amy/Nadine, is that you???? [​IMG]

And yes, I agree with her. All I can add is that you want to use a plastic waterer when adding things, galvanized will break down.

I was wondering if this is nadine too? [​IMG]

10. flchickenlover

flchickenlover New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    what do you use for wormer and where do you get it? I am very new at this.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by