what can i put on the floor of my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lablover, Dec 19, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I have a 4x8 chicken tractor attached to a 14x14 run. The floor of the tractor has wire (2x4 inch holes)on it (for predators) and the poop builds up right under the roosts since the tractor does not get moved. I have to unattach the coop to move it back and then dig up all the poop and soiled mess. Then I put dried horse manure from the barn as a new dirt floor. Is there a better way? I would like to be able to clean it out without having to move the whole thing back. Could I put straw ontop of the wire so that hte poop was caught on that instead of catching on the wire? Then could I rake the straw out every so often?

2. Gelotri

Gelotri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I would use pine shaving and stay away from hay for that purpose. I pick up a bale of it for under $5 at the local Tractor Supply. With my 10x12 coop it took 2 1/2 bundles for the initial 10-inch layer and regular monthly maintenence uses 1 1/2 bundles plus Diatamaceous Earth via a flour sifter (for odor/mite control).

Question: how much space between the wire and the actual ground? If the tractor doesnt move and is stationary much like a regular coop, you could use the Deep Earth method of poop maintenence. Less work and in the end some decent compost.

For your access to the mess, consider adding a hinged door with latch at the rear of the tractor (think garage door) if it isnt backed up against any stationary objects/structures.

3. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Well, when it rains the whole floor gets wet. Would shavings still work?

The wire is basically right on the ground. THere are a few places where the ground is uneven so there is a small gap between the ground and the wire. I guess I don't understand how the deep earth method works, so I need to go check that out. :) Oh, and I do have hinged doors on the back. One at the top for access to the eggs and a smaller one at the bottom to get to the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by