What can I rest my coop on

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blackswamp, Mar 17, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    I'm in the middle of building our first coop. It will be a 4x6 coop & I want it to be elevated about 2 feet off the ground. I will use 4x4's for the legs but what can I rest them on that is sturdy & hopefully wont sink. I know I could dig 4 holes & concrete them in but I would like to rest them on something just in case I have to move it some day.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Any big box store will sell concrete blocks that are made to fit the 4X4's you have.

3. UnionMan

UnionMan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012

X2

4. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
  5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    We have our 4x6 coop's legs resting on short boards of woods to level it it. They have worked great!

6. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    (double post)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Those concrete blocks that looks like pyramids are they sturdy? I think I might go this route.

Thanks.

8. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    Yes they are very sturdy. They sit in a 12"x12"
    Pad. Just level them out on the ground and a 4x4 just sits right in the precast top. They are designed for decks but I have used them for the footers on rabbit hutches and chicken coops. They work great.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    You may be ok with just a small chicken coop like that but most any building on blocks will begin to sink into the ground no matter what you use for blocking, the only way to prevent it is to go out and jack it up and add more blocking when it sinks. I have a tool shed on blocks and every few years it sinks noticably enough to have to jack it, once I let it go too long and it was sitting on the ground. I would use those pyramid type blocks that fit the 4x4 but I would maybe sit that block on a large patio paver or something for better floatation.

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I like the idea of the lowes' blocks, but I also think you would get better results if you put them on a better base. Would digging a hole and filling it with gravel give it a better foundation for the pyramids to sit on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by