1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I spray my yard with?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmerinKC, Jul 5, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have got to try to spray my yard with something! It's a backyard in Kansas City, Missouri. I think it must be chiggers and some kind of noseeums that are driving me crazy! Of course we have mosquitos too-but at least you can see those coming. I have never sprayed my yard before because we have a cat and used to have a dog-and I didn't know what would be safe for honeybees. I would just avoid going out into the yard-but now I have to be in the yard because I have chickens. So, I am looking for dog/cat/chicken/honeybee safe spray to get rid of these noseeum/chigger monsters. [​IMG]

Please help me-I dread going out to take care of my girls. [​IMG] It's painful!

Oh and yes I have tried spraying me with bug spray-doesn't help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I used Permethrin 10% spray, but its dangerous to cats. So I kept them inside until it dried.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    One of the typical components in fertilizer makes for an inhospitible habitat for chiggers. I *think* it is nitrogen, but not 100% positive that that is the one. Look at a good book on lawn care and see if it has a section on lawn pests, and what control is advised. Any pesticide labeled for animal housing areas should be fine (once it has dried); just make sure it is effective against your problem bugs.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  5. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I don't know if it will work for you, but my MIL told me to use vinegar & water in a spray bottle. I tried it on some bugs and it worked! Safe for all the animals too!

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    garlic.

plant some garlic around

they have a garlic spray you can get too.

or even garlic oil...

skeeters and chiggers both hate garlic.

I planted garlic around the swing set and around our front porch and that in combination with the muscovies....no skeeters!

muscovies like to eat them too. [​IMG]

7. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks for all the suggestions-I will investigate all of them. I want to get the yard sprayed in the next couple of days. So---

Check out-Permethrin 10%.
    Check out pesticides-I definitely want to use environmentally friendly.
    Cutter Backyard
    Vinegar and water. (That sounds easy!) [​IMG]
    Garlic Spray. (I don't think I have time to wait for the actual garlic plants to grow. [​IMG]) But definitely will plant some for next year!

I also read online about spraying some Dr. Bronner's Soap.
    I hope something works! [​IMG]

If anyone else has something that has worked for them-I would love to hear more. Thanks!

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Garlic Spray. (I don't think I have time to wait for the actual garlic plants to grow. ) But definitely will plant some for next year!

If you try planting garlic, make sure you plant the cloves in the fall (November). We'd been trying to grow spring planted garlic for years and never has anything to show for it. Last fall we bought a few cloves from the grocery store to see if we had any better luck and I just havested 21 bulbs (planted 21 cloves) a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

Hope this is some help!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by