1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What can I spread around in my coop to let my chickens scratch at?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    We just a nice layer of snow, and the chickens refuse to go outside. I put a plastic sheet down in their run after a couple hours of them refusing to go outside. They still are inside. I cleaned the coop this morning, so there isn't much "waste" in there. In 1 or 2 hours I will be heading over to TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I'm going to get things like feed, bedding, and oyster shells, but I want to give them something they can scratch at in their coop. Since they are my pets, I don't mind buying them meal worms, crushed corn, scratch, or anything that could be consitered a "treat".

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    All of those are great things to get them. I also get a flock block that they can pick at so they don't pick at each other.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, thanks!

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I give mine a small flake of alfalfa hay once or twice a week. Hours of entertainment tearing it apart and eating the tiny leafy bits that fracture everywhere.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I went to TSC and got feed, grit, oyster shell, bedding, and alfalfa hay. They didn't care too much for the hay, but when I threw in some grit and oyster shell they went nuts over them. I couldn't find a flock block, they might be out. I found them for horses and goats, but that was it.

6. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I try to always keep at least some black oil sunflower seeds and scratch thrown in the bedding, just so they have something to do in the coop and so they keep everything mixed up (I use pine shavings for bedding, about 6" worth, and clean the bedding with a kitty litter scoop a couple times a week. By them keeping everything mixed up, it dries out any poops and coats them with a fine layer of shavings so there's not much smell at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by