What can I use for flooringin achicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by molly, Mar 19, 2012.

1. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    My chicken coop is falling apart . I need some ideas about what to use to build one that will last . I live in Ohio so , I need one that can stand up to cold winters. My floor is rotting and everything else is too. Does any one have any ideas? We used plywood to build it but , its no longer working . Please give me any ideas you may have

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many people cover the floor with a sheet of vinyl flooring and seal well at the edges, or even run it up the wall a ways. Two or three good coats of exterior gloss or semi gloss paint will protect the inside walls. Of course a concrete floor lasts well if built properly. The exterior will also need protection over the plywood such as vinyl siding scraps, a good paint job on the walls, and shingles or metal roofing. You can even build the coop of metal roofing, though you would probably want insulation and interior walls and ceiling in your climate. I'm sure there are other ways to protect the wood.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We used exterior 3/8" plywood sheathing. Made for easy assembly. It stains easy, we used exterior oil deck/fence stain. For the floor I just put on a coat of lacquer as it's tough, water resistant and easily applied.

The sheathing goes straight on the framing, you can sort of see the decorative groves every 4 inches in the style we chose.
    [​IMG]

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Keep the wood dry, up off the ground, under an eave from the roof, paint.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    maybe hardiboard (or is it hardy board?) it has cement mixed in & is weather proof. you would have to use screws not nails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by