1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wHAT CAN i USE TO KEEP ROACHES AND OTHER BUGS OUT OF MY COUP?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Berynn, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    i SAW ONE COCK ROACH IN MY COOP TODAY. i LIVE IN RIVERSIDE CA. THE WEATHER HAS BEEN WARM AND COLD, i CAN'T LIVE WITH ROACHES

2. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    How or what can I do to keep roaches out of my coop

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I put chickens in my coop and they ate all the roaches and other bugs. [​IMG] Mites are too small though so you might need to spread some Sevin around to take care of them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    CHICKENS!BOCK!!BOCK!! I Put them in they coop and anywhere there are bugs they can munch on. They Luuvvv Bugs![​IMG]
    I even send my chickens into the front yard to rid it of the excess grasshoppers and locusts.
    Yummy! Them is good eats!!!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    The chikens should take care of the bugs and DE ( ditanimous earth) its safe around kids and dogs or any other and it should take care of the mites and possibly fleas or other things like ticks...and its safe for the chickens if they eat it, it will worm them and they love to dust in it too for their mites.

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I would go with CHICKENS [​IMG]

But as an added effort I would use some DE and seven dust.

I can't use DE myself because it seems to effect my lungs when cleaning out the pens.
    "I HAVE BAD LUNGS" "YES I WORE A MASK"
    the seven dust dosn't seem to bother.

I got a 2 pound bag of DE from Cutlers Supply.
    And a bag of seven dust is about $5 at Walmart in the garden center.

7. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    That is supper dooper gross! Why was I afraid that you were going to tell me that. One of birds went after it and I would not let her eat it. I guess that she is mad at me. That is as bad as my lab eating the cat poop out of the litter box

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh those are yummy treats for the chickens.....

Mine go NUTS for grasshoppers....... I don't think we have any bugs in the coop at all - they'll even try for flies and yellow jackets.................

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I was going to say chickens too [​IMG] but I know what you are saying. I was raised in Bakersfield and those roaches are so big could carry a chicken away, and they are so dirty. But you know, chickens love them and that is what they eat.

10. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I grew up in Fort lauderdale Florida where you don't fight them, you name them. They get so big there you can strap a saddle on them and ride them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by