What can I use to treat mites on new chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I posted a question a few days ago and didn't really ever get a response about new chicks having and getting mites. I got a week old bantam chick Sat. and it was acting all agitated and kept scratching its head. I looked it over and never saw anything on it so after it spent a day by itself I went ahead and put it in with my newly hatched chicks so it would have some company. All of my chicks are now scratching and shaking their heads. Would this be or could it even be mites? I was told that new chicks could not get mites, so what's up? Any ideas what the problem is or could even be? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have changed to heading to this post in hope that I can get some response. I think it has been determined that my chicks all have mites now and I am clueless as to what to do about it. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help! My chicks are only 2 and 3 days old. What would be the most effective and safe way to treat this problem?

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    minimum, give them dust/dirt to bathe in right away. I don't know if the Sevin is safe. Others will know here.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It's my general impression that Sevin is pretty toxic to any living thing...

5. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Sounds like something is bothering it/them. I use Sevin dust - sparingly in the bedding on on adult chickens, their vent area and under their wings but haven't used it on young chicks. They make a specific powder for mites, lice and such. I believe TSC has it.

Myself, I would dust their bedding and them lightly with Sevin dust. I keep a quart jar sitting in the barn with holes in the lid just for dusting the flock. I have not had any ill effects from it but, again, I use it sparingly. I use it in nest boxes about every six months.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thank you. This is EXACTLY the info. I was looking for. I'm not crazy about using anything toxic on any of my animals and was really wanting to know of something other than the SEVIN. This is the first and hopefully the last time I will have this problem with my flock. I am a little of the "miffed" side of things about this whole issue. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. :thun I have just cleaned out the brooder really well, put down clean paper towels, and sprinkled DE all over the paper towels. I have also rubbed the little bantam down really well with the DE. If this doesn't fix the issue, I will go to TSC and get some powder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by