what can kill chicks of 5 weeks old and still kept indoors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BiffsEggs, Oct 6, 2013.

1. BiffsEggs

BiffsEggs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    romford, essex, uk
    Hi peeps

Well an update from my first successful hatching of 10 chicks, (crook included) most of the chicks were fully feathered by 3 weeks old so on a mild warm day I took them outside having already weaned them off of their heat light, and two days layer I lost 2 chicks, so I brought them indoors and lost another one, now I checked them all last night before bed and were all chirping away. This morning however I'm down to 6 chicks remaining. I've lost another one! It seems to be just the Rhode island red that has passed away. (if that is of any relevance).

Now they are fed on marriages layers crumb with coccidiostat pre mixed yet I noticed with the two that died outside they had blood stained faeces. (the other 2 were absolutely fine by full appearance) I check the chicks daily for blocked vents and crops and so far haven't detected any signs of illness. All areas where the unfortunate have died have been disinfected before other chicks go in the same area

Please help if u have any idea what could be causing the issue

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My guess would be coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?

3. BiffsEggs

BiffsEggs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    romford, essex, uk
    What is cocorid?

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Corid is a medicine to treat coccidiosis.

5. BiffsEggs

BiffsEggs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    romford, essex, uk
    Hi
    Thanks for the speedy reply, the food I'm giving them has anti coccidiosis in it. Especially made for new chicks is it ok to give on top of the feed amounts?
    Imhohoping the change back to this food will start helping soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: