What can live with Bettas?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BookWorm243, Oct 13, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    About 3 years ago I had a male Betta with a Feeder Fish. They both lived together great until my little feeder fish died [​IMG] Anyway I just got a new Betta and would like to put another fish with him. He is in a 5 gallon fish tank would that be big enough for two fish? What fish would be good with him?

Thanks

Sorry for my bad spelling. I have had a migraine, so I'm really having a hard time [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It is a Betta, as in Betta splendens [​IMG]

Anyway, why not keep him alone? Five gallons is very small, easy to overstock. But if you insist, please read this article on Betta Tankmates , it is very in depth with sound, actual information.

Edit: messed up hyperlink

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For a 5 gallon, I'd probably keep him by himself and spend more time decorating the tank. I like a lot of plants and some decorations, too. There are a lot of cool caves and other things you can add. A little piece of driftwood or a rock looks good, too.

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    For 5 gallons, you can add a couple more fish... small ones, with the emphasiss on "couple".

The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish... say a typical adult Betta is 2 inches, so at least 2 gallons for it.. 3 Tetras or 2 Guppies would not hurt the balance as long as you kept up your water changes and didn't allow population additions.

I say guppies because though they are not usually on the official lists because of the Fancy Guppies longer tails (that Mr. Betta MAY nibble) I have kept male Bettas in bigger tanks with some fancy guppies and not had tail nibbling before. But it does depend on the individual fish. They are just my favorite two fish types.

The size of your tank does impact how they get along... so it would be wise to keep that in mind.. and if you decide on a schooling type of fish, please keep in mind the school size guidlines for those kinds of fish, and remember your tank size. It's better to have too few than too many.

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could also get a corry cat they stay at the bottom of the tank, They are great at cleaning the left over food that the fish don't eat.

Or if you want swimming fish, Two Guppies they will be 2 to 3" when mature, small school (3) of zebra danios, neon tetras, black neon tetras, or there are other small 1" size fish that would be good for your tank. I wouldn't get anymore than two or three.

On the most part bettas are a peaceful fish, so any other small community fishes should be fine, remember thou No more than two or three. and No bigger than 1" to 2" for adult size fish.

Good Luck!!

And Post Pictures when your tank is done!! [​IMG]

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:A single cory catfish of any variety won't do. They are a shoaling fish who get very stressed it kept in singly or in pairs. Safety for them is in a shoal, so without it, the fish do not thrive at all.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    5 gallons is about the minimum for 1 Betta, so I'd keep him by himself. However, if you decide to get a bigger tank, there are lots you could put him with. You don't want to put him with any that look 'like' him (long tails, etc), or with others who take up the same area of the tank (I believe Bettas are 'top of tank' fish), but for 5 gallons I'd keep him alone. Get some shrimp or something for the bottom [​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had a very successful ten gallon tank with a betta, three cory cats, and four to five platies. Ten gallon tanks are quite cheap, and I got one with a nice lid and light for about $25. I added a heater and some decorations and was good to go. I used the betta to cycle the tank for several weeks before adding new fish. I also added the new fish really slowly. It was a nice little set up and everybody got along.

9. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:A single cory catfish of any variety won't do. They are a shoaling fish who get very stressed it kept in singly or in pairs. Safety for them is in a shoal, so without it, the fish do not thrive at all.

I Disagree!!! I have had several Singley and paired kept Cory Cats that lived to a nice Old age. they do Not need to be in a shoal.

10. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I had a 25 gallon tank with a Betta, Tetras, Plecostamus (sp), hermit crabs, one of those silly looking eel things, and some guppies.
    In my 5 gallon tank I had a Betta with 3 tetras and a Plecostamus.
    Never had any issues.
    (I had some of those goofy shrimp in my 25 gallon for a while too)
    My Mom always kept her Betta with tetras and a couple bottom feeders.
    She had an angel fish for awhile in there too. Didn't die because it was attacked. Silly thing was always having issues.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by