1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what can they do? neighbor wants my chickens gone.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by the*chicken*chik, Jun 20, 2011.

1. the*chicken*chik

the*chicken*chik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    tennessee
    I live in a subdivision that is not in city limits. we do not have an association of any kind and my neighbor behind me is marked agriculture. the neighbor beside me says she called and i not suppose to have them here. who did she call? what can she do? what can i do?

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    what city are you in? maybe I can help you look it up? with Ag..right behind you wow..do they have animals back there? more info please (don't worry we are not stalkers LOL)

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

start researching the law and print it out... if its in your favor highlight it and leave a copy with her- ask her if theirs anything that may help her like chickens more (not that you have to do it).

If the law is not in your favor start tring to find homes for your chickens- and also try to change the laws...

Look in the following places

City animal code
    County animal code
    Zoning code
    State law (XX right to Farm Act)

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Sounds like someone called the city and is trying to apply what she was told to a person outside the city limits. Designation behind her is irrelevant if Ag designations are based on amount of land. They could have 5 acres and op is on a city sized lot (subdivision). If she knows the person behind them is "marked" agricultural, I bet that same person knows who to go to for accurate information.

Good luck.

5. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
  6. the*chicken*chik

the*chicken*chik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    tennessee
    thanks so much all. i am in pleasant view tennessee. i am so freaked out. i love my babies. she says she is scared of them.

7. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Scared of them??? You must have turkens!! [​IMG]

8. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    Are your chickens in a coop/run? Do you think she would be willing to learn a bit about them? Ignorance is sometimes the hardest obstacle to overcome in any situation. I hope you are allowed by law to keep them but it would still be nice if your neighbor wasn't afraid of them. [​IMG]

9. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    which of these is your area?
    B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brentwood
    Bristol
    C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Centerville

Clarksville

F

Farragut

Franklin

G

Gallatin
    Germantown
    K

Kingsport

Knox County

Knoxville
    M

Memphis

Metro Government of Nashville and Davidson County
    Mt. Juliet

S

Shelby County

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  10. Billyk

Billyk New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    North Central Ma
    Here is the link to the zoning regs for your town. Looks like AG and R-1 are good to go, that's as far as I read, but I am no expert!!

www.townofpleasantview.com/Zoning%20Ord%20Article%20V.pdf

Good luck, I hope it is ok for you to keep your flock. We are lucky, we have what is called "right to farm" in my town so we are good to go!! We even have a very cranky neighbor who called the town, boy were they disappointed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by