What can we expect from our Blue Australorp roo over these girls

Little Coop on Salt Creek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2016
Southwest Colorado
Hi all,

We are adding to our egg laying flock which has a Blue Australorp roo.

I know what to expect from he and our BBS Australorp girls, but we’re unsure what we’d get with the following crosses with Kevin (Blue Australorp) as the dad.

Hens:
Welsummer
Whiting True Greens
Easter Eggers (not Ameraucanas)
Cream Legbars
Red Stars
Haven’t decided for sure if we add in Speckled Sussex or Buff Orpingtons.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Welsummmer: half black chicks, half blue chicks. Some red/gold leakage.
WTGs: ???? They're mutts, and there's no standard colour. The offspring's eggs are likely to come out green, but there's a 50/50 chance that half will be green egg layers and half will be brown.
EEs: ???? See above.
Cream Legbars: barred males, solid-coloured females. Half will be black, half will be blue. Likely messy barring and some leakage (gold) on shoulders and chests.
Red Stars: Half of the chicks will be white. 25% will be blue, 25% will be black. Again, there's probably going to be leakage in there.

The leakage is because chickens that are black, blue, lavender, or dominant white are all based on a pattern (e-locus) gene known as extended black, and symbolised by "E" None of your hens are solid in colour, so they have different pattern genes. The chicks will have one extended black pattern gene, and one other pattern gene, some of which probably will show through.

Welsummmer: half black chicks, half blue chicks. Some red/gold leakage.
WTGs: ???? They're mutts, and there's no standard colour. The offspring's eggs are likely to come out green, but there's a 50/50 chance that half will be green egg layers and half will be brown.
EEs: ???? See above.
Cream Legbars: barred males, solid-coloured females. Half will be black, half will be blue. Likely messy barring and some leakage (gold) on shoulders and chests.
Red Stars: Half of the chicks will be white. 25% will be blue, 25% will be black. Again, there's probably going to be leakage in there.

The leakage is because chickens that are black, blue, lavender, or dominant white are all based on a pattern (e-locus) gene known as extended black, and symbolised by "E" None of your hens are solid in colour, so they have different pattern genes. The chicks will have one extended black pattern gene, and one other pattern gene, some of which probably will show through.
Thank you!!!!
I'm ok with leakage as any overage on our hatches would be sold as just a barnyard mix.. I was hoping that everything wouldn't turn out Black!
If we added in BO or Speckled Sussex, do you know what that may produce?

Thank you!!!!
I'm ok with leakage as any overage on our hatches would be sold as just a barnyard mix.. I was hoping that everything wouldn't turn out Black!
If we added in BO or Speckled Sussex, do you know what that may produce?
Look up blue/buff cochin crosses. The offspring almost look like they've been dipped. Buff is an interesting colour for crosses.

As for the speckled sussex, I understand that they're based on partridge, and the mille-fleur pattern is recessive. So the chicks would come out solid black or solid blue, again, possibly with leakage.

Back
Top Bottom